Sunday, June 28, 2009

10 years ago...


It recently dawned on me that it was 10 years ago this month that I returned from my year abroad. I look back and feel so lucky to have spent that time in Spain. It helped mold me into who I am today, and still today I think of my time there fondly.
10 years ago...
  • I had some of the best friends! The "Spain Girls" still keep in touch, and we try to have reunion's as often as we can. 10 years later it is harder and harder to do. We have married, had children, spread out, but these girls are still a huge and important part of me. I laugh often remembering some of the wild shenanigans we got ourselves into!






  • I returned a lot thinner! Everyday in Madrid I walked miles... to school, to the grocery store, to the park... wherever...if it was sunny, we walked there. On top of that, I was also running nearly everyday. Nowadays, it is hard for me to find the time (and energy) to do either.

  • I was happy to return to good Mexican food again! Many people assumed (for some reason?) that because Mexico and Spain spoke the same language, they ate the same foods. NOT SO! In fact, it was hard to find Mexican food much at all!
  • I spoke spanish. I dreamed in spanish. I could easily hold a lengthy conversation explaining any thought I had.... and get my point across. Now, I try... but I struggle. It is a dissapointment to see how far I have declined.

  • I came home to doing nothing but enjoy the summer. My mom encouraged me to enjoy the summer before getting back to school and starting a new job. I am grateful for her advice still 10 years later. Now I know... it was my last summer to be free and young, without (much) of a care in the world.

  • I had a packed passport to be proud of, and a wealth of experiences to last a lifetime. Seeing so much of the world made me more appreciative of history, different cultures and the amazing things God can do.





  • Despite counting down the days until I returned, I missed Spain tremendously upon leaving, and was anxious to get back and visit again. Some things never change!

2 comments:

Corinne @ The Splendid Stuff said...

We went to Spain on our honeymoon! And, I loved every minute of it.... but the food wasn't impressive. What IS up with that? :)

Cicely said...

Maybe that is why I was thinner... but I made up for it in other countries!