Monday, January 14, 2008

A sunny, family day!




We had a very nice and SUNNY day together as a family yesterday! The sun can do so much to lift your spirits, can't it? We miss it here sometimes!!! With the holidays and Dan working so much lately, it has been hard for us to have some good family time, just the three of us. So this last Sunday, with the sun shining and the temperature reaching all the way up to a balmy 50 degrees, we decided to make an overdue trip to the new Olympic Sculpture Park on the Seattle Waterfront. It is a really nicely put together park, and a fantastic way for us to introduce Quincy to the fine arts at a price we can afford.... FREE! Quin loved walking on the gravel, until the 2nd or 3rd stumble, then he refused to budge. There were lots of other children there, and he is fascinated by them. He just watches their every move, and yells his baby jibberish so matter-o-factly, as if to say "Hey Guys! Over here... I want to play, too!" Dan and I are in constant awe of him and he provides us endless entertainment. I recently read a magazine article written that summed up this last year perfectly. As Quincy is busy discovering all the things this world has to offer, we are busy as parents discovering all the things he has for us. He is new to this planet, and we are new to him. To the parents of multiple children, we are probably absurd to see as we fuss over him, everyday he learns something new and we treat it as though he has discovered the solution to world hunger. He is a genius (of course!) I watch him like a hawk, nervous in my recognition that he is already learning independence. We gloat to anyone who will listen about how he just yesterday pointed at his bottles and said "baba" telling us what he wanted (thankfully ending a bit of a fit he was having), how he is so silly and tries to make us laugh by doing things like trying to "feed" mommy his bottle, how well he walks after such a short time... enjoying a game of "chase", and how the pediatrician confirmed at his 12 month check up that he is a genius. Ok... so maybe not exactly , but he did say he is very developed in his verbal skills, especially for a boy, saying "ball" "dog" and "uh-oh". We are so lucky and so happy with him, even on the hard days. I have felt all kinds of love. Love for my parents, siblings, friends, boyfriend, husband. But NOTHING is like the love I have for my baby. It is amazing. It is cliche. It is true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. I don't stop by as much as I should - and I say that because every time I do - I smile. It always reminds me of moments that we had - not too far back - and reminds me of the feeling inside. Your description of everything is so perfect... even when you think words just aren't enough to describe. :) PS - LOVE the picture of Quincy at the park - looking amazed. How frameable is that!!